VoaygerProtect FAQs & Help

Find the answers to some of our most commonly asked questions below.

Click on a question to find the answer

1. Who is the Underwriter for VoyagerProtect?

All sections of VoyagerProtect Insurance policies are underwritten by Starr International (Europe) Limited. Voyager Insurance Services Ltd. are the product manufacturer and the Underwriters have appointed them as policy administrator in respect of certain administration and customer services functions.

Voyager Insurance Services Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FRN 305814.

You can check these details on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA's website on www.fca.org.uk/registeror by contacting them on (Freephone) 0800 111 6768

2. What is the medical screening or medical declaration procedure? 

There is no medical screening or medical declaration under our VoyagerProtect travel insurance policy, instead, cover for pre-existing medical conditions is provided on a fit-to-fly basis. The pre-existing medical condition exclusions are applied to the following sections:

Section B1: Medical and Emergency Travel Expenses

Section B8: Cancellation, Curtailment, Replacement or Change of Itinerary

For full details, please see your policy wording.

3. What are the maximum age limit on VoyagerProtect policy?

Our VoyagerProtect travel insurance policies have a maximum age limit of 70 for adult travellers. For dependent children, there is a maximum age limit of 18 for dependent children, or 23 years of age if the dependent children are in full-time education.

4. Where can employees travel to on a VoyagerProtect policy?

A VoyagerProtect policy will cover your employees for travel to worldwide destinations.

However, our VoyagerProtect Travel Insurance cannot provide cover to destinations where the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) or other appropriate authority is advising against ‘all travel’ or ‘all but essential travel’.

We're also unable to provide cover for business travel to Belarus, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Russia, Syria, or Ukraine, which are in “Excluded Territory” of VoyagerProtect Business Travel Insurance.

However, if your company and employees can justify that the business trip is necessary and can’t be undertaken by alternative means, such as video conferencing. Then our VoyagerProtect could cover these business trips to destinations under the “Excluded Territory”.

5. Does the policy have cover for Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

This policy will ONLY provide cover for claims directly or indirectly related to a pandemic and/or epidemic, including but not limited to Coronavirus (Covid-19) within the following sections:

Section B8 - Cancellation, Curtailment, Replacement and Change of Itinerary

If the policyholder has paid the appropriate additional premium as shown on the certificate of insurance, this insurance covers you for cancellation if you or someone you are travelling with contracts COVID-19 within 14 days of an insured journey departure date, or if you are admitted to hospital due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 28 days of the insured journey departure date.

For full details, please see your policy wording.

6. Can I get Group Business Travel Insurance from VoyagerProtect?

Yes, our VoyagerProtect Travel Insurance for Business Travel is available to cover multiple employees under one policy. If you’ve bought multiple business travel cover for each employee before, you might find that it was more expensive and harder to manage.

7. Can this policy cover my employee’s personal holidays?

Our VoyagerProtect travel insurance policy can cover your employees for a leisure trip so long as the policyholder (the company) has not opted to exclude leisure travel from the policy. If leisure travel is included within a company’s VoyagerProtect policy, the maximum duration for a leisure trip is 60 days.

8. Can employee’s family members travel separately?

With a VoyagerProtect travel insurance policy, all family members including dependents named on the policy can travel on their own, as long as they all live at the same home address.

9. Where can I get Business Equipment Insurance?

Sometimes your staff may need to bring business equipment and/or business samples that they own or have hired for this specific business trip. Therefore, it’d also be sensible to get insurance to protect these items in case they get lost or damaged on the trip.

Rather than having to buy separate business equipment insurance, our VoyagerProtect Travel Insurance for Business Trips includes cover for business equipment, such as company laptops, and business samples only on Super and Enhanced cover.

10. Is cruise cover included?

Yes, this is classed as a normal type of leisure holiday under our VoyagerProtect travel insurance policy therefore cruises are covered under the standard terms and conditions of the policy.

Still have questions?

Call our VoyagerProtect Travel Insurance Support team on +44 (0)1483 806 822 or send an email to commerical@voyagerins.com and we’ll get right back to you.